4 cups milk
1 tblspn Ghee
1/4 cup Basmathi Rice/Malabar Biryani Rice
3/4 cup Sugar
Almonds peeled and sliced
1/4 tspn Kewra Essence(Optional)
Pinch of Salt
3 Cardamom/Elaichi Pods
- Wash the rice and strain.
- Heat the pan and add ghee to it.Saute the rice in ghee for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Now pour milk into it and add salt and boil.
- When it boils,add sugar and keep in medium flame and cook for about 50 minutes or until the rice gets mushy.
- Stir continuously so that it does not get burnt.
- Add elaichi pods and kewra essence to it.
- If the kheer becomes too thick,add a little water to it and stir continuously until done.
- Serve in bowls garnished with sliced almonds and saffron strands.
Note:Kewra essence is added to get authentic flavor and aroma.It is completely optional.Pistachios are added while cooking to get the exact flavor.