Ghee rice is a very special dish of Malabar.Its one of the best preparations in Malabar.Its served with chicken in coconut gravy or beef curry.Ghee Rice should be made with Malabar small rice(Cheriyari) to get the authentic taste.It can be substituted with basmati rice if cheriyari is not available.The measurement of water should be exact or else either you will have it mashed up or uncooked.
Serves:5,Preparation time:10 minutes,Cooking time:10 minutes
3 Cups Basmati Rice /Cheriyari
4 Tblspn Ghee
1 Inch piece Cinnamon
Salt to taste
3 to 4 Cloves
1 Onion Sliced
6 Cups water(Double the quantity of rice)
1 Carrot Sliced(Optional)
- Wash the rice and strain for 5 minutes.
- Heat a sauce pan,add ghee to it and add cardamom,cinnamon and clove to it.
- When the aroma comes,add onion and saute until transparent.
- Now add the rice and saute for 3 to 4 minutes so that it just becomes a bit warm and not more.
- By the time boil water in another pan.
- Immediately when the rice gets warm,add water,salt and the carrot.
- First boil in high flame and when it boils stir once and keep in medium flame.
- Stir occasionally so that it does not get burnt but don't over stir because you may mash it up making a lump.You need to have a rice which is not sticky and that is why we saute the rice in ghee for sometime.Once you have done with it off the flame,stir once,level it and close the lid.
Note:Carrots are completely optional.I just added it because my son Ponnu just love those carrots in ghee rice.
|Ghee Rice served with Beef Curry|