Saturday 30 March 2013

Chana Masala/Chana in North Indian Gravy

       I have always disliked veg dishes.But now I am forced to have veg dishes coz my ayurveda doc has insisted me to stay away from all non veg items.....sighhhhh!!! It has been about one month that I haven't looked at non veg dishes.Have to wait till May 4th to begin my appetite of non veg dishes.
      Anyways I won't keep you veggy all these days :-).Today I am going to post Chana in north Indian gravy.I remember those days when I used to hate chana.But since I have no option now,I have started liking veg dishes ;-p.
     This is not a Kerala style chana curry but a north Indian style.

Ingredients

Serves 4;Soaking time:8 hrs,Preparation Time:10 Minutes;Cooking time:20 Minutes

1 Cup Chana/Kabuli Chana(velutha kadala)
1 1/2 Onion Diced
1 Onion cut into chunks
1 Tomato+1 Tomato
2 Green Chilli
4 Cloves Garlic
1/2 Inch Ginger
Few Sprigs Cilantro(Coriander Leaves)
Few Sprigs Mint Leaves
1/2 Tspn Cumin Seeds
1/2 Tblspn Chilli Powder
1/4 Tspn Coriander Powder
2 Pinches Garam Masala Powder
Salt to taste
1 Tblspn Oil

Method 

  1. First soak chana in water for 8 hours.Or you can also soak it in hot water for 2 hours.Then boil it with some water and salt.Let it get cooked until very soft.
  2. By the time heat another pan and add oil to it.Put the diced onions and salt and saute till golden brown.
  3. Grind the onion chunks,1 tomato,green chillies,garlic,ginger,mint leaves,cilantro and cumin to a fine paste.
  4. Then add the paste to the fried onions and saute till it gets cooked ie for about 2 minutes.
  5. Add in the chilli powder and the cooked chana with the stock water.
  6. Let it boil for another 5 minutes with the lid on.
  7. Then grind the other tomato and add to it.
  8. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
  9. Finally add garam masala and remove from flame.
  10. Sprinkle some cilantro and serve hot with batura,naan,chappati,velleppam...

8 comments:

  1. Looks yummy and nice clicks....you have lovely blog with delicious recipes... Happy to follow you...
    http://welcometomyrasoi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bhawna
      R u sure U r tokin about my pics
      Haha,U knw am not at all satisfied with my pics...
      Anyways thanku dea and surely shall visit ur blog n follow u

      Delete
  2. Thanku so much
    And surely I shal visit ur blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice recipe..thanks for stopping by in my blog! Happy blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my space...Chickpea curry looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really delicious!! Wonderful clicks!! Thanx for stopping by my space! :)
    http://www.rita-bose-cooking.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment coz your comments are my inspiration and motivation.....I would be very much obliged to read your comments and criticisms....