Before that I would like to display few pics which is from my workshop of improvisation on photography.On my coming posts I would be displaying few such pics of fruits and flowers from my lawn.
Now lets move on to the recipe.....
Serves:5;Preparation time:30 minutes;Cooking Time:50 Minutes
2 Tblspn Oil
750 gm Beef (cut,washed and drained)
6 Big Onions
1 Tblspn Garlic paste
1 Tblspn Ginger paste
7 Green Chillies (ground)
1/2 Tblspn Coriander Powder
1 Tspn Garam Masala Powder
Few sprigs of Cilantro/Coriander Leaves
Few Mint Leaves
Salt to taste
1/2 Tblspn Red Chilli Powder(Optional)
1/4 Tspn Turmeric Powder
3 Cup Basmati Rice/Cheriyari
6 Cup Water(or double the qty of rice)
4 Tblspn Ghee
1 Inch piece Cinnamon
2 to 3 Cardamom
5 to 6 Clove
1/2 Onion Sliced
Salt to taste
Few Cashews and Raisins to garnish
1 pinch of turmeric or saffron dissolved in warm water/Milk
- You can prepare masala in two ways,either by cooking the meat with salt,chilli powder,coriander powder and turmeric powder in a pressure cooker.Or you can also prepare by making the masala and then adding the meat to it and cooking it in the pressure cooker.For this you have to make sure that your pressure cooker has no problem in maintaining the pressure inside it or else you will burn the masala.
- I am going to introduce the second method because its much tastier.
- First heat the pressure cooker and add oil to it.When hot add sliced onions to it and add salt.Saute it well with no lid on it in medium flame so that you will get it done soon.Be careful to stir often so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When the onions are brown,add ginger,garlic and chilli paste to it.And let it cook for 2 more minutes.
- Now add tomatoes to it and keep the lid and saute it well.
- Now add the coriander and turmeric powder to it.Chilli powder is optional in this method.
- Add the meat and garam masala powder to it.
- Now close the lid tight and cook till 4 whistles.First cook in high flame until the pressure starts escaping and then lower to medium flame.Or else you will burn the masala.
- Finally after opening the lid let it cook in medium flame so that the moisture content evaporates.Then add cilantro and mint leaves and remove from flame.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan,add ghee to it and fry cashew and raisins and remove.
- Now in the same ghee,fry onions and add cardamoms,cloves and cinnamon and saute until the aroma comes.
- By the time boil water in another pan.
- Put the rice in the ghee with spices and saute for 1 minute and pour the boiling water to the rice.
- Stir and add salt and close it with the lid.Salt should be a bit more than normal.Only then it will be balanced coz the rice extracts the saltiness.
- Keep in high flame and after boiling reduce to medium flame.
- Stir occasionally.
- You need to cook the rice only till 3/4th done.Rest of the cooking will be done while in dum.
- Now in a heavy bottomed large pan,firstly spoon in 1/4 th of rice and sprinkle some diced cilantro,mint leaves and garam masala.And sprinkle the saffron or turmeric water on it.
- Now spoon in the masala or gravy on top of it completely.Spread it evenly and sprinkle the herbs again.
- Now spoon in the left over rice on top of it completely.Sprinkle the turmeric or saffron water, herbs,garam masala powder and the fried cashews and raisins on top of it.
- Now keep the pan on top of the flame and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the aroma escapes.
- Serve with pickle,salad and paappad.
Never take curd with beef biriyani coz it damages your digestive system.Digestion problem occurs while you take curd/yoghurt with meat.