Moving on to the recipe...
Serves:4 to 5;Soaking Time:3 hours;Preparation time:2 hrs,Cooking time:30 Minutes
1 1/2 Cup Biryani rice/Cheriyari/Basmati Rice
1 Cup Boiled rice
1/2 Tspn Yeast
Milk of half a coconut
3/4 tspn salt
Grated Carrot and diced Cilantro/Coriander leaves to garnish
- Firstly soak the rice for 3 hours.
- Then grind it with all the other ingredients other than carrot and cilantro.
- Keep for 1 hour or more until it rises and becomes fluffy filled with air.
- Heat a non-stick pan and once it catches heat reduce the flame to a little more than simmering.
- Pour a ladle of the mixture onto the pan and spread in a way that it remains a little thick and is of 15cm in diameter.
- Immediately after spreading the mixture,sprinkle the grated carrot and cilantro onto it and cover with a lid.
- Normally it gets cooked within 35 to 40 seconds.To test whether it is done ,slightly touch the center of the oothappam and see if it is sticky.
- If it is sticky,cook it for few more seconds with lid on it.
- Do not flip the oothappam upside down.
- Take it off the pan and place each one separately for few seconds as it tends to stick to each other when hot.
|Oothappam cooking process|
Note:Do not stir the batter and break the air pockets in it while preparing the dosas.Once done so,the oothappam would not be too soft.